Return to the Cahaba Lilies

 


Steve and I recently visited the Cahaba River National Wildlife Refuge, near West Blocton, Ala., to see the Cahaba Lilies in bloom on the shoals of the Cahaba River. The striking white lily typically blooms there between Mother's Day and Father's Day, drawing numerous onlookers. Some watch from the banks and others brave walking through shallow water and on wet rocks to get up close to the flowers, which have a magical appeal.

We first saw the lilies in their natural habitat for the first time nine years ago while hiking with a group. It was also the first time we met. Well, met again rather. At the time we did not recognize each other from high school. We were just two hikers who briefly spoke as we photographed the flowers. While other hikers there took a few snaps, he and I were photographing the blooms from various angles, trying hard to capture their breathtaking beauty, if possible. 

I had been wanting to see the Cahaba Lily for several years after seeing pictures of it and hearing its praises following my moving back from Florida during the summer of 2009. Somehow the flower held an alluring mystery. I was strongly drawn to its strange loveliness.

According to the Encyclopedia of Alabama, the Cahaba Lily (Hymenocallis coronaria) is a type of spider lily native to Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. The aquatic flowering plants requires swift-flowing water over rocks and lots of sun to grow and bloom. Alabama's main population of the lily is found in the free-flowing Cahaba River, which has no high-level dams.

The plant's bulbs and seeds are buried by the river's current in the rocky riverbed during the winter. Then its slender leaves begin to emerge above the water line in mid-April after the Cahaba's spring floods. Flower stalks follow with blooms emerging in mid-May and continuing through mid-to-late June. New flowers bloom daily in the early evening then last through the next day before withering. Perhaps the fresh perfection is part of their appeal.

Finally, the right opportunity to see the flower came when a hiking group I had recently joined hosted a joint Cahaba Lily event with another hiking group in the area. It surprised me how challenging it was to wade out to see the flowers without twisting an ankle or slipping on rocks. But the difficulty made finally getting out to see the lilies the sweeter. I was transfixed as I gazed and photographed.

Later the two hiking groups met at a nearby Cracker Barrel for dinner and Steve happened to sit across from me at the table. He was smiling and staring at me, but didn't say anything. Finally sensing I should say something I made some comment about the menu. We talked a bit with each other and the people around us. At the end of the meal, he told me that he had taken a picture of me, and if I wanted a copy I could email him.

Several weeks later we met at our local botanical gardens to take photographs and learned we had both attended the same high school. Afterwards, Steve checked his yearbook then called me to verify my maiden name before informing me that he and I had been friends and signed each other's annuals one year. He dated my best friend from high school, and I was the go between before she broke up with him. Now I remember ... Not too long after we began dating and have been a couple ever since.

The next spring, we revisited the lilies, grateful they brought us together. The blooms seemed even lovelier than the year before. Few other people were there, giving us a nice sense of it being just for us. Part of me is surprised we then didn't make going out to see the lilies an annual pilgrimage. But our explorations took us to other parts of the state, country and world. We continued hiking, but our photography began centering on statuary, old cars and various other manmade elements that nature had weathered into beauty.

Finally, we decided to visit the lilies again this year. It was the Saturday of the Cahaba Lily Festival, and the refuge was mobbed with cars parked along the river. We wondered if it was worth the hassle of trying to find a place to park on the dusty gravel road, but thankfully we persevered. Although it's wonderful to be alone in nature, the group excitement of the blooming Cahaba Lilies was like the group excitement of fireworks on the Fourth of July.

Most viewers stayed along the banks, whether having earlier ventured out on the shoals or not. Fortunately, it wasn't hard to find your own private cluster of lilies to wonder over and photograph in peace.

Yet it was also good to know others were around in case you slipped and fell, which I did. Fortunately I only skinned my knee. I brought a hiking stick, which helped me navigate the rocks a bit better. But next time I'll be smarter about the type of shoe I use. I was glad I brought a dry bag to store my cellphone in when I was on the move between clusters.

Steve and I both enjoyed talking with others who had come to view the lilies. Everyone there was excited, open and friendly. I think all of us felt we were witnessing a beautiful miracle of God's glory, the amazing Cahaba Lily.

Photographs by Kathy Hagood and Steve Kinney